Girl, Give Yourself the Opportunity to Heal: How to Heal Purposefully
We all go through things in life and sometimes wonder how we’ll get through these situations and, for the long run, wonder how we’ll ultimately get over them..
The answer that I've found is through healing. PURPOSEFUL healing, at that. Your healing will move you through the storms and will, eventually, allow you to look back on those things you’ve gotten over. What’s beautiful about purposeful healing is that you want it. You genuinely & sincerely want it, with all of your heart. For me, my heart was hurting and yearning for healing so I made the decision to start on that journey.
What is purposeful healing?
This may be obvious but some people don’t pay attention to this important detail. Healing is a very selfish process in which you’re singling yourself out and working on your heart, mind, and soul. You’re making the decision to remove yourself from the pain, the situation that caused it, and whoever it may involve. It’s an acknowledgement that says, “I know you’re there, I know what you’re capable of, and I want better. I deserve better so I will have better.”
After spending time evaluating, inspecting, and searching myself, I’ve boiled my thoughts on purposeful healing down to these few tips:
1. Remember that healing is for YOU. – When you get a cut and it heals, it’s only a benefit to you. If you lost money and recovered it, it’s only a benefit to you. There are so many things that we go through that are benefits to others but healing isn't a benefit to others it's a benefit to yourself. You owe yourself that much, don’t you think? Sometime down the line, you may have an opportunity to share your story with others and they might gain some wisdom from your experiences alone but, in the meantime, focus on yourself, this process, and being whole.
2. Healing takes time. – All good things take time. For example, diamonds. Diamonds are placed under an unimaginable amount of heat and pressure, and when they’re finally glistening in all their beauty, they’re removed from the fire. Healing is the same. It will never happen overnight. There will be days when you feel like you’re on top of the world but you’ll also have days where it seems dark. All good things take time. Patience is key.
3. Your strength will be tested. – THIS ONE NEVER FAILS. You will most definitely be tested, babe. It’s going to happen. Don’t question this one. Temptation is a mofo, okay?! You might get those late night texts & booty calls. You could be out with friends and might be tempted to have a drink. Temptation and tests are paramount because you’ll do 1 of 2 things:
1) You’ll be tricked into thinking you can face your issues and you will do so WAY TOO SOON, and will be worse off than when you started your healing process or 2) you’ll realize, off top, that it’s all a game and you’ll refuse to be swindled. It’s always 1 of the 2. Choose number 2, ma’am. Choose healing. Choose growth. Tests, trials, and temptations will always be knocking at your back door. Keep that door locked and keep it pushing.
4. It’s all worth it in the end. – Everyone’s timeline is different. Some people heal faster than others and for reasons we may never understand. Just know that whether your process takes you 2 weeks or 2 years, it’ll be worth it in the end. I’m still going through my process and I’m enjoying the ride. It sucks sometimes because there are certain things I want to do and take part in but I know those things will only stunt my growth & add more time to my timeline.
You have some say in how long your healing takes, babe. Don’t get anxious and make the wrong decisions. You have a lot more strength than you give yourself credit for, girl! You got this. It’ll all be worth it in the end.
Hippocrates said one of my favorite quotes, regarding healing: “Healing is a matter of time but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.” Girl, give yourself the opportunity to heal. You’ll see that it’s one of the best things you could do for yourself. Be patient, trust the process, act on purpose, and travel down this road. Rest assured that you’re not the first, the last, or the only one making this decision.
Comment below your favorite part of this article. Jewel dropped some gems in here. Which one is most relevant to your healing journey?
This article was written by #SelfishBabe: Jewel
Jewel is a NYC native with a love for traveling, writing, and laughter. An HR Guru by day and writer by night, Jewel finds peace in sharing advice on educational & career choices, relationship woes, and greatest love of all: self love.
Add her on Instagram: @watch.jewelgo
Add her on Twitter: @watchjewelgo
Visit her website: jewelnewsome.com